Planner II - Position #11623
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission
Upper Marlboro, MD United States
The Prince George’s County Planning Department of The Maryland National-Capital Park and Planning Commission is seeking a Planner II to join our planning team. The Department provides land use planning for the physical development of Prince George’s County, Maryland. As the second most populous county in Maryland, Prince George’s has a population of approximately 900,000 residents and is home to The University of Maryland at College Park, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, and Joint Base Andrews Air Force Base. Prince George’s County is also home to many attractions such as FedEx Field, National Harbor, and Six Flags Amusement Park.
We are seeking a self-motivated and creative Planner II with outstanding analytical and critical thinking skills. The ideal candidate must also possess a consistent track record of acquiring the highest quality design for development projects. A significant background in zoning and/or subdivision, and development review is beneficial. The position also requires extensive experience in project management, oral and written communication skills, and leadership. If you are interested in working for a dynamic and upbeat team, we invite qualified candidates to apply for our Planner II position.
Examples of Important Duties
Under general supervision, the Planner II applies land use planning, zoning, subdivision and customer service knowledge of the development review process and expertly performs the following major duties and responsibilities:
Conducts site inspections
- Applies various regulations while conducting plan reviews
- Produces staff reports
- Assists with interpretations of Subdivision Regulations
- Conducts presentations before the Planning Board, District Council, and Zoning Hearing Examiner
- Responds to public inquiries within the required timeframe
Other duties may include full participation in interdisciplinary planning teams. The ability to relate land use plans to development review regulations is important. Innovative problem-solving skills and the willingness to work in a diverse environment are essential in this role. Qualified candidates will be able to optimally communicate planning and design principles verbally, graphically, and in writing. Both regulatory and private experience is preferred.
WHAT YOU SHOULD BRING
The ideal candidate will have strong analytical skills, possess outstanding communication skills, and provide a directly related innovative approach to planning. In addition, they will be able to successfully interpret technical reports and zoning ordinances while displaying innovative skills to meet the regulatory requirements of the zoning ordinance.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Planning, Geography, Architecture, Parks and Recreation, Transportation, Urban Design, Engineering, Environmental Science, Public Policy, Economics or any related field.
- Two (2) years of progressively responsible professional level planning experience or specific area of assignment such as transportation planning, environmental planning or urban planning.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted, which together total six (6) years.
- Valid driver's license (depending on area of assignment) in accordance with both State and Commission rules and regulations. Driver’s license must be unencumbered by restrictions, revocations, suspensions, or points that could limit the employee’s ability to drive Commission vehicles or perform driving duties required by the position of assignment.
NOTE: Please provide a copy of your resume and cover letter with the submission of your application. Please also provide a sample report that you have written and presented before a governing body (i.e. Planning Board/Commission, Town/City or County Council).
Why Prince George’s Planning?
- Telework opportunities
- Flexible schedules
- Complimentary access to M-NCPPC gymnasiums throughout Prince George's County
- Free parking is available for employees
- Professional development opportunities/Tuition assistance
- Positions may qualify for federal student loan forgiveness assistance
The M-NCPPC offers a competitive salary range of $61,730 to $109,325 (salary is commensurate with education and experience) at the Planner II level with excellent benefits including generous leave, extensive health coverage, deferred compensation plan, and employee pension plan.
The Prince George’s County Planning Department is conveniently located in Largo, Maryland, near Metro and I-495.
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate a workplace culture of diversity, equity and inclusion without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, gender identity, or any other non-merit factor.