City of Alexandria
22314, VA United States
(Transit Program Manager)
The Transit Program Manager will be a highly motivated, creative, and responsible candidate with strong public communication skills to work within the Department of Transportation and Environmental Services. The employee will be responsible for coordinating the City’s Transit Program efforts and for representing the Department to outside agencies. The tasks that this employee will lead include acting as project sponsor for the three transitway projects, coordinating with other jurisdictions with regards to WMATA and other regional transit efforts, liaising with DASH Bus, several smaller-scale capital projects, and supervising one staff. Please note that this is a Principal Planner position.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Spearhead the integration of the Alexandria Mobility Plan's policies and goals into transit projects and programs, ensuring alignment with the city's vision for a sustainable and equitable transportation network.
- Develop and implement the Transit Annual Work Plan.
- Serve as the City's representative at regional transit forums, including WMATA and NVTC, fostering strong collaborations and advocating for Alexandria's transportation priorities.
- Oversee the entire spectrum of the transit program, encompassing goal setting, strategic vision, and project execution, ensuring the successful delivery of initiatives that enhance mobility for all Alexandrians.
- Provide expert guidance and mentorship to one urban planner, delegating tasks, managing workload, and conducting performance evaluations to cultivate a high-performing and motivated team.
- Manage the City's priorities within the WMATA budget, policies, and projects, ensuring fiscal responsibility and alignment with the city's transportation objectives.
- Assume the role of project sponsor for the City’s three bus rapid transit corridors and two transit hubs, providing strategic direction, community engagement, overseeing project execution, and ensuring timely completion within budget constraints.
- Duke Street Transitway ($87 million)
- West End Transitway ($57 million)
- Route 1 Metroway ($10 million)
- Landmark Transit Center ($13 million)
- Southern Towers Transit Center ($10 million)
- Serve as the City’s transit technical expert, providing in-depth knowledge and guidance on transit planning, design, and operations.
- Proactively identify and pursue grant funding opportunities, leading the application process and securing financial resources to support the city's transit initiatives.
- Foster strong partnerships across City departments and the broader region, collaborating effectively with stakeholders to advance transit initiatives and achieve shared transportation goals.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate embraces the core values of the City: Respect, Integrity, Teamwork, and Continuous Improvement. This candidate is open-minded and treats all people with dignity, embraces diversity and welcomes individual perspectives, backgrounds, and opinions, listens well, and always exhibits civility. They are honest and fair, strategic and transparent about how they make decisions, and value the public’s trust. They are accountable for decisions and actions and follow through on commitments. They work well with others to achieve great things and are committed to learning and growing.
We seek a highly motivated and experienced transit professional with a passion for shaping the future of transportation in Alexandria. The ideal candidate will possess a blend of technical expertise, strategic thinking, and collaborative leadership skills.
- Proven experience working with departments of transportation and public transportation agencies, demonstrating an understanding of the complexities of transit planning, operations, and capital projects.
- Expertise in capital project management, from project inception to completion, ensuring adherence to budget, schedule, and quality standards.
- Strong understanding of urban design principles and their application in transit planning and implementation.
- Comprehensive knowledge of traffic safety principles and best practices for enhancing the safety of transit systems.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, enabling effective collaboration with colleagues from diverse backgrounds and stakeholders at all levels.
- Proven ability to think outside the box, generating innovative ideas while maintaining a practical focus on implementable solutions.
- A strong balance of flexibility and adaptability, capable of adjusting to changing priorities and unforeseen challenges while maintaining a commitment to achieving goals.
- Technical know-how in transit planning software and data analysis tools.
- A genuine passion for improving public transportation and enhancing mobility for all residents of Alexandria.
- A commitment to excellence and a drive to deliver high-quality results that meet the city's transportation goals.
- Dedication to teamwork and a collaborative spirit, fostering a positive and productive work environment.
About the Department
The Department of Transportation & Environmental Services (T&ES) is a community partner in shaping a livable, green, and prospering Alexandria. We plan, build, operate, and maintain transportation systems and infrastructure that improve mobility and provide people and businesses with core public services. The work we do keeps Alexandrians moving, growing sustainability, and thriving.
Minimum & Additional Requirements:
Four Year College Degree, at least five years of progressively responsible experience in urban or transportation planning and management of large-scale urban projects, and completion of college-level courses in urban planning, transportation or transit planning, public administration, engineering, geography, or a related field; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Master's Degree; more than five years of progressive planning experience in an urban setting; direct experience working with transit projects and issues, excellent project management skills, including the ability to prioritize work, meet deadlines, manage budgets, and ensure accountability; familiarity with transportation planning principles. Ability to communicate graphically is a plus!
This position requires the successful completion of pre-employment background checks.