ASSOCIATE PLANNER (CURRENT PLANNING SECTION)
Arlington County Government
Arlington, VA United States
The Department of Community Planning, Housing and Development (CPHD) is seeking an Associate Planner for the Current Planning Section to manage a diverse caseload of special exception site plans, use permits, and other forms of development proposals/applications. This position involves working with interdepartmental staff members, citizens, and applicants to resolve issues related to assigned projects.
Specific duties include:
- Coordinating case reviews with County departments and state agencies to ensure compliance on assigned cases with County Ordinances, plans and policies;
- Preparing and affirming final approval by the County Manager's Office of staff reports for public hearings with the Planning Commission and County Board;
- Creating staff reports with recommendations based upon planning principles and information relevant to the proposals, and presenting these recommendations to the Planning Commission and County Board;
- Performing research, analysis and planning studies in the areas of general planning, demographics, development, housing and economic trends;
- Responding to other planning issues, undertaking general planning work, and occasional assignment of other projects;
- Processing Planning Division application submissions through the Permit Arlington system;
- Using computer software programs for urban planning analysis design, such ARCGIS, SketchUp 3D modeling software, Adobe Creative Suite, InDesign, PhotoShop, etc.; and
- Preparing monthly legal notifications of public hearings.
- Bachelor's Degree in Urban Planning, Architecture or directly related field; and
- Two years of experience in Urban Planning/Designing, Community Planning, Land Use, or related field.
Substitution: Additional education may be substituted for experience. A Master's degree in related field may be substituted for one year of the experience requirement.
Desirables: Preference may be given to candidates with a Master’s Degree in related field and experience in one or more of the following:
- Managing local government land use planning processes;
- Effective and direct engagement with interdepartmental staff, citizens, citizen groups, developers, and elected officials;
- Proficiency using permit systems and computer programs, such as Permit Arlington, ARCGIS, SketchUp 3D modeling software, Adobe Creative Suite, InDesign, PhotoShop, etc.; and
- Project management experience.