Planner II (13377, Grade 24)
Montgomery County Planning Department
Wheaton, MD United States
Are you passionate about urban planning, development review and placemaking? If so, the Montgomery County Planning Department is where you want to be! We are seeking a Planner II to participate in a full range of urban design and planning activities in our Midcounty Planning Division.
The Montgomery County Planning Department is part of The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC). For 95 years, M-NCPPC has had a national reputation for excellence in planning, and today serves a culturally diverse population of over one million people on the border of Washington, D.C. in Montgomery County. We provide county-wide planning functions including long range planning, as well as reviews of development applications in diverse built environments of downtown urban districts, suburban communities, and agricultural areas. We have pioneered nationally modeled programs in agricultural preservation, inclusionary housing, and transit-oriented design. To learn more about who we are and what we do, we encourage you to watch this brief video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-t5iTmLNFg&t=1s and visit our website at www.montgomeryplanning.org
We value the safety of our staff and our community. To that end, we have required all our employees to be vaccinated (with limited exemptions for religious and medical reasons) while following all COVID-19 protocols.
The Planner II will assist by reviewing and analyzing development applications and proposed public facilities with a focus on master plan implementation, project coordination, and placemaking. You will assist, and lead initiatives tailored to enhance the quality for public spaces, promote walkability and improve the environmental performance of streets, private developments, and public buildings. You will also engage with community members, stakeholders, and public officials, gathering input and presenting projects. The ideal candidate possesses a background in urban planning, community engagement skills, an ability to implement planning policies in partnership with colleagues from other public agencies, and excellent oral and written communication skills. Fieldwork and occasional evening meetings are required.
Examples of Important Duties
- Interpret applicable Design Guidelines, and ensure compliance with the Zoning Code, Forest Conservation Law and Sector Plans. Develop design alternatives to resolve identified issues.
- Produce deliverables for meeting the goals, schedules, and deadlines for implementation- focused planning.
- Support the development of design guidelines and sector plans with a focus on implementation, development review project coordination, and placemaking.
- Recommend and implement new processes to help monitor and streamline the implementation of master plans and development review projects to help achieve the county’s policy goals.
- Assist in the creation of visually compelling presentations for the public and the Planning Board. Provide written content and graphically illustrate issues for staff reports.
- Speak on behalf of staff recommendations to community groups and the Planning Board in a public hearing setting.
The successful Planner II should have the:
- Ability to handle complex and often controversial situations.
- Ability to handle multiple deadlines and projects.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively to applicant teams, citizens, other agencies.
- Ability to effectively identify problems and to be resourceful and creative in developing solutions, requesting the assistance or input of others as appropriate.
- Ability to demonstrate design ideas through hand sketches and computer-generated drawings.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Planning, Geography, Architecture, Parks and Recreation, Transportation, Urban Design, Engineering, Environmental Science, Public Policy, Economics or any related field.
- Two (2) years of progressively responsible professional level planning experience or specific area of assignment such as transportation planning, environmental planning or urban planning.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted, which together total six (6) years.
- Valid driver's license (depending on area of assignment) in accordance with both State and Commission rules and regulations. Driver’s license must be unencumbered by restrictions, revocations, suspensions, or points that could limit the employee’s ability to drive Commission vehicles or perform driving duties required by the position of assignment.
Classification Specification; Planner II
Applicants contacted for an interview should provide a portfolio of their design work and a writing sample.
The M-NCPPC offers competitive salaries, excellent benefits, generous leave plans, an employee pension plan, and a deferred compensation plan. Positions may qualify for public service student loan forgiveness. Montgomery Planning is conveniently located minutes from Washington, DC in downtown Wheaton, MD next to the Wheaton Metro Station, several bus lines, and bikeshare. A commuter stipend is available. Telework opportunities (up to two days a week) and tuition assistance are also available. We work in the only LEED Platinum-rated government building in the state of Maryland. Check it out https://montgomeryplanning.org/montgomery-parks-and-planning-departments-move-to-new-headquarters-in-downtown-wheaton/
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate a workplace culture of diversity, equity and inclusion without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, gender identity, or any other non-merit factor. We will do what we can to provide reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us at 301-495-4525 to request accommodation.
Please Note: This position is eligible for a sign-on bonus (external candidates only). The salary range listed above represents the earning potential for this position. Salary is commensurate with education and experience.