Planner III - Position #'s 11693 and 11515
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission
Upper Marlboro, MD United States
THIS IS A RE-ADVERTISEMENT. PREVIOUS APPLICANTS NEED NOT RE-APPLY.
- Are you a natural leader, and want to demonstrate your skills leading a team on a new project or long-range plan for this diverse county?
- Are you an experienced project manager looking for a new challenge?
- Are you passionate about building community relationships?
- Do you get excited about working in a community that promotes transit-oriented development?
- Do you like working with stakeholders to develop long-term visions that guide equitable and sustainable land use policies?
- Do you love planning so much you don’t care if it’s urban, suburban, or rural? (We’ve got it all!)
- Are you interested in working with communities on delivering small-scale projects to demonstrate how policies will be brought to life on the ground?
- Are you good at collaborating closely with a variety of partner agencies and elected officials, and don’t shy away from public speaking?
If so, the Prince George’s Planning Department is where you want to be! We are currently seeking three experienced Planner IIIs for our Community Planning Division. Due to an expanding work program, we currently have positions available in our Long-Range, Placemaking and Master Plans and Studies sections. This is a great opportunity for you to have a broad impact on the built environment and shape future communities of Prince George’s County.
Prince George's County, Maryland is a metropolitan destination for technological innovation, world-class higher education, performing arts, hospitality and tourism, and entrepreneurship. It is home to a diverse, engaged, and energetic population of 900,000 residents that live, work, and play in a wide range of interconnected urban, suburban, and rural communities immediately adjacent to Washington, DC. Connected to nearby international centers of commerce, government, and culture by the Metrorail system and a growing range of transportation and networking options, the County is becoming a destination of choice for new residents, workers, students, and visitors.
The Department is transforming to meet the challenges and facilitate the opportunities presented by the County’s economic growth. This is an opportunity for three highly motivated, experienced community planners to be advocates for implementing the County’s award-winning comprehensive general plan, Plan Prince George’s 2035.
Examples of Important Duties:
- Lead interdisciplinary teams, including staff, consultants, and agency partners, and manage contracts for professional services.
- Lead the development and approval of master and sector plans, planning studies, comprehensive zoning map amendments, or placemaking projects that meet the County’s goals and objectives and the legislative approval process.
- Communicate effectively with an array of stakeholders, meet deadlines, and maintain product quality while managing multiple assignments.
- Provide strategic leadership for the project teams and mentor project team members.
- Review and analyze development proposals for sector and master plan compliance and community impacts through written reports and oral testimony at public hearings.
- Lead and/or participate in plan implementation activities.
- Coordinate community outreach and engagement and make presentations to many different audiences including large public meetings, the County Council, the Planning Board, community groups, interagency working groups, and other stakeholders.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Planning, Geography, Architecture, Parks and Recreation, Transportation, Urban Design, Engineering, Environmental Science, Public Policy, Economics or any related field.
- Four (4) years of progressively responsible professional level planning experience related to specific area of assignment such as transportation planning, environmental planning or urban planning.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted, which together total eight (8) years.
- Valid driver’s license (depending on area of assignment) in accordance with both State and Commission rules and regulations. Driver’s license must be unencumbered by restrictions, revocations, suspensions, or points that could limit the employee’s ability to drive Commission vehicles or perform driving duties required by the position of assignment.
- Master’s degree in Community/Urban/Regional Planning.
- Certification from the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP).
- Experience working in diverse communities.
- A working understanding of real estate market dynamics, land use planning, zoning, urban design, and TOD standard methodologies.
- Ability to work with all levels of government and established communities in a diverse, innovative planning environment.
- Knowledge of ArcGIS software and Scenario Planning tools, such as ESRI and CommunityViz.
- Experience developing requests for proposals, procuring consultant services, and managing consultants and consultant contracts.
- Multilingual verbal and writing skills (Spanish desired).
- Intermediate or higher level computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office / Office 365
PLEASE NOTE: As part of the application, applicants are required to submit a writing sample of no more than five (5) pages that was authored by the applicant.
Why Prince George’s Planning?
- Telework opportunities
- Flexible schedules
- Complimentary access to M-NCPPC gymnasiums throughout Prince George’s County
- Free parking is available for employees
- Professional development opportunities/Tuition assistance
- Positions may qualify for federal student loan forgiveness assistance
M-NCPPC offers a competitive salary range of $67,614 - $121,955 at the Planner III level. Salary offers are commensurate with education and experience. Candidates who meet just the minimum requirements can expect to be offered a salary starting at $67,614. Candidates with education and experience beyond the minimum requirements can expect a salary offer commensurate with that additional education and experience. We also offer excellent benefits including generous leave, extensive health coverage, deferred compensation plan, and employee pension plan.
The Prince George’s County Planning Department is currently located in historic Upper Marlboro, Maryland.
Person(s) hired for this position must provide proof of being fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (with limited religious or medical exceptions).
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate a workplace culture of diversity, equity and inclusion without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, gender identity, or any other non-merit factor.