Planner II, Position #10957
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission
Upper Marlboro, MD United States
The Prince George's County Planning Department of The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission is seeking an experienced Planner II to join our planning team. The Department is responsible for developing and implementing community plans, neighborhood revitalization programs, countywide planning, and assisting with implementation programs in an urbanizing county adjacent to our nation’s capital.
Qualified applicants for this position will have passion for community planning, outstanding analytic and communications skills, proven research skills, and familiarity with comprehensive planning, demographic analysis, transit-oriented development, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), and Adobe Creative Suites. The position will be responsible for various quantitative and qualitative analyses in support of planning including, but not limited to the following program areas: comprehensive planning, neighborhood revitalization, transit-oriented development, community engagement, urban design and placemaking, housing, economic development, and performance monitoring for program implementation. Individuals from all cultures and communities are encouraged to apply.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Desire to serve the public, collaborate with other agencies and departments, and work closely with other planning team members.
- Familiarity with methodologies for collecting, analyzing, and summarizing data for planning and policy-related research.
- The ability to learn quickly, apply creativity, understand complex processes and procedures, prioritize workload, set and meet deadlines, and perform well with minimal direct supervision.
- The ability to cope effectively with change, shift gears comfortably, and handle risk and uncertainty.
- Experience providing policy support to committees, boards, councils, or other advisory or decision-making bodies.
- Must be action-oriented, full of energy for challenging tasks, and enjoy working hard.
- Experience with Creative Suite, MS Office (especially PowerPoint), GIS is strongly preferred.
- Ability to perform other related duties as assigned.
- Multilingual verbal and writing skills a plus (Spanish desired).
Examples of Important Duties
Under general supervision:
- Participates and/or assists in community planning, neighborhood revitalization planning, and/or plan implementation projects, including production of small area/neighborhood plans.
- Conducts research and analysis of planning trends.
- Provides planning services in assigned area of the county.
- Provides urban design, research, and writing support on master plans, sector plans, and area studies.
- Reviews and prepares reports on site plans, subdivision and zoning applications to determine compliance with approved community plans.
- Assists in the facilitation of community meetings, virtual and in-person, and community outreach activities.
- Conducts planning studies, including oversight of consultants and presentations to the Planning Board or County Council, as needed.
- Assists in developing land use regulations and implementing the zoning code.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Planning, Geography, Architecture, Parks and Recreation, Transportation, Urban Design, Engineering, Environmental Science, Public Policy, Economics or any related field.
- Two (2) years of progressively responsible professional level planning experience or specific area of assignment such as transportation planning, environmental planning or urban planning.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted, which together total six (6) years.
- Valid driver's license (depending on area of assignment) in accordance with both State and Commission rules and regulations. Driver’s license must be unencumbered by restrictions, revocations, suspensions, or points that could limit the employee’s ability to drive Commission vehicles or perform driving duties required by the position of assignment.
Class/Specification: Planner II
The Prince George's County Planning Department is currently located in historic Upper Marlboro, Maryland. Free onsite parking is available for employees.
Person(s) hired for this position must provide proof of being fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (with limited religious or medical exceptions).
The M-NCPPC offers a competitive salary range of $56,769 to $100,538 at the Planner II level with an excellent benefits package including generous leave, extensive health coverage, deferred compensation plan, employer's retirement plan, and work-life programs. Salary is commensurate with education and experience. The Commission is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from underrepresented groups, women, and persons with disabilities.