Urban Planner II - Parking & Curbside Management Program
City of Alexandria - Transportation & Environmental Services
Alexandria, VA United States
Urban Planner II (Parking and Curbside Management)
The City of Alexandria's Department of Transportation and Environment Services (T&ES) is hiring for an Urban Planner II. The Urban Planner II for the Mobility Services Division performs highly visible and responsible professional work that directly supports the City’s Parking and Curbside Management and Shared Mobility programs. Work is performed under the administrative direction of the Principal Planner for Mobility Services within the Department. The employee is actively involved in the determination, formulation, and execution of T&ES programs and policies related to parking and curbside management, including bicycle and shared mobility parking, installation of Capital Bikeshare stations, as well as support for the City’s parklet program and street changes made during the COVID-19 pandemic. Within T&ES and across the City, we work together to foster a thriving Alexandria and work toward a culture that supports each of us and inspires excellence.
- Demonstrates behavior consistent with the vision, mission and values of the City of Alexandria, and develops good working relationships with the community.
- Encourages innovation and looks beyond the City for best practices.
- Manages the City’s bike parking and scooter corral programs, including identification and installation of new locations.
- Supports the Principal Planner for Mobility Services and the Shared Mobility Planner; coordinates with other T&ES divisions and City Departments; and supports the goals and mission of the Parking and Curbside Management Program and Shared Mobility Program.
- Supports curbside amenity programs, including implementation of parklets, bicycle parking, scooter corrals, bikeshare station installations, as well as managing food trucks, car sharing, and other elements of public space.
- Assists with innovative complete streets projects related to parking and curbside management, such as a parklet program and street changes adopted during the COVID-19 Pandemic;
- Supports ongoing grant funded projects in public space, such as parking technology and bus shelter improvements.
- Implements parking management strategies City-wide, such as coordinating shared parking, improving wayfinding, managing parking meters or changes to parking restrictions.
- Responds to questions and concerns from the City Council, Traffic and Parking Board, Transportation Commission, the Alex311 system, and residents related to curbside management issues.
- Prepares docket items, reports and/or analysis for the City Manager, City Council, Boards & Commissions and the T&ES Director and attends public meetings to present recommendations.
The Ideal Candidate
To qualify for this position, all candidates must possess a bachelor’s degree in regional, or urban Planning, or a closely related field such as Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Geography, Urban Studies, Public Administration, Physical Sciences, Historic Preservation, or Environmental Studies and three years of experience; or master's degree with one year experience; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
To be considered as an ideal candidate, one should possess a bachelor’s degree in a field listed above and three years of experience; or a master’s degree and one year experience; experience with transportation planning, street design, and transportation policy, as well as Bikeshare operations and/or expansion; familiarity with GIS.
About the Department
T&ES is a community partner in shaping a livable, green, and prospering Alexandria. We plan, build, operate, and maintain transportation systems and infrastructure that improve mobility and provide people and businesses with core public services. The work we do keeps Alexandrians moving, growing sustainability, and thriving. If you are interested in a broader view of our City government click here, or for a broader view of the City of Alexandria click here.
This position requires the successful completion of pre-employment background checks including but not limited to drug testing, criminal background.
City of Alexandria
301 King Street, Suite 2500
Alexandria, Virginia, 22314