Senior GIS Specialist - Position #14944
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission
Upper Marlboro, MD United States
The Prince George’s County Planning Department of The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission is seeking a GIS professional to serve as a key resource to support GIS mapping, create and manage databases, and perform analytical tasks. The Department provides land use planning for the physical development of Prince George's County, Maryland. As the second most populous county in Maryland, Prince George's has a population of approximately 900,000 residents and is home to The University of Maryland at College Park, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, and Joint Base Andrews Air Force Base. Prince George's County is also home to many attractions such as FedEx Field, National Harbor, and Six Flags Amusement Park. If you are interested in working for the Prince George's County Planning Department, we invite qualified candidates to apply for our Senior GIS Specialist position.
The Senior GIS Specialist will work within the Information Management Division’s newly created Research Section and will produce maps, create and maintain GIS layers, and perform geospatial analysis for special projects. Additional duties include support for planning studies, master plans, land use and market analysis, demographic analysis, development pipeline and capacity analysis, and related inquiries. This position reports to the Supervisor of the Research Section and will also work closely with the GIS Section as well as with other GIS staff throughout the Department.
Examples of Important Duties
- Collaborates with staff, management, consultants, and others in the accomplishment of goals and objectives; and increases interagency coordination by working closely with internal and external geospatial users.
- Supports the development of geospatial database development for planning related research and demographic analysis projects requiring advanced geospatial analytical skills.
- Performs research and produces high quality map and cartographic products for housing, population, jobs, Census, market analysis, development tracking and land use analysis projects.
- Develops GIS Storymaps using Esri’s web mapping tools.
- Participates in the completion of special projects, demographic analysis, planning studies, master/sector plans, and other planning and implementation efforts.
- Provides user support; communicates users’ needs to management. Presents work programs at meetings and user conferences.
- Assists and conducts training of technical staff and users; identifies training needs; provides technical assistance; responds to user inquiries concerning GIS software.
- Stays abreast of GIS related information technology changes and innovations through training programs, journals, and other sources of information.
- Provides assistance to the Division and Department in other technology based initiatives.
In addition to the minimum qualifications the ideal candidate will possess the following:
- A Master’s Degree in geography, GIS, urban planning, or related field.
- Previous examples of/experience using web-based GIS applications and 3D visualizations
- Local government planning experience
- Experience with data analysis for housing, census, land use, permitting, or land records
- Experience with Tableau, Microsoft Power BI, or statistical analysis software
- Professional GISP, AICP, CMS accreditations.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Geography, Remote Sensing, Computer Science, Information Technology, Photogrammetry, Cartography, Surveying or any related field.
- Two (2) years of experience in GIS that includes geospatial data query and manipulation, map production, data mining and data quality assurance and quality control; programming and application development involving spatial or non-spatial data.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted, which together total six (6) years.
- Depending on area of assignment, a valid driver’s license in accordance with both State and Commission rules and regulations. Driver’s license must be unencumbered by restrictions, revocations, suspensions, or points that could limit the employee’s ability to drive Commission vehicles or perform driving duties required by the position of assignment.
NOTE: Candidates selected for interviews will be asked to take a GIS skills test and show examples of their work.
The Prince George's County Planning Department is currently located in historic Upper Marlboro, Maryland. Free onsite parking is available for employees. The M-NCPPC offers a competitive salary range of $56,769 to $97,138 at the Senior GIS Specialist level with an excellent benefits package including generous leave, extensive health coverage, deferred compensation plan, employer's retirement plan, and work-life programs. Salary is commensurate with education and experience. The Commission is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from underrepresented groups, females, and persons with disabilities.