Planner/Senior Planner - Position #11650
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission
UPPER MARLBORO, MD United States
Planner/Senior Planner (11650, Grade 18/22)
Depends on Qualifications
Upper Marlboro, MD
1/19/2021 11:59 PM Eastern
THIS IS A RE-ADVERTISEMENT AT A DUAL-GRADE LEVEL
The Prince George’s County Planning Department of The Maryland National-Capital Park and Planning Commission is seeking a Planner or Senior Planner with a background in environmental planning, including technical review skills, to join our planning team. The Department provides land use planning for the physical development of Prince George’s County, Maryland. As the second most populous county in Maryland, Prince George’s has a population of approximately 900,000 residents, is characterized by urban, suburban and rural areas, and is home to The University of Maryland at College Park, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, and Joint Base Andrews Air Force Base. This position may be filled at the level of Planner or Senior Planner depending on the qualifications of the applicant.
The Planner/Senior Planner will play an important role in assisting in the implementation of the applicable environmental regulations, educating the public on the requirements, permitting regulations, and assisting with the myriad of state reporting requirements. The position also requires the ability to apply land use regulations and to meet deadlines.
The duties of this position are highly technical and will primarily focus on the environmental planning and review of short term, site specific land development applications. The job will require coordination with other local agencies as well as state and federal agencies. Long term planning assignments may be assigned as needed. Fieldwork and occasional evening meetings are required. Knowledge of natural resources and land development processes is highly preferred.
This position will be located in the County Administration Building in Upper Marlboro but may be relocated, if necessary, to the section’s secondary location in Largo, Maryland.
Examples of Important Duties
Planner (Grade 18):
- Conducts review and preparation of Woodland Conservation Letters of Exemption
- Conducts review and preparation of Natural Resource Inventory (NRI) Equivalency Letters
- Conducts review of Natural Resource Inventory Plans
- Conducts review of stand-alone Tree Conservation Plans (TCP)
- Conducts field investigations as needed to support review of NRI’s and TCP’s
- Conducts review of permits
- Collects and maintains data, databases, and other information for planning and reporting purposes
- Assists in quality control and scanning of files
- Serves customers directly both in-person and on the phone
Senior Planner (Grade 22):
- Planner duties (as listed above)
- Reviews development applications for compliance with County laws, master plans, and policies
- Conducts review of mandatory referrals
- Conducts field investigations as needed to support review of development applications and enforcement actions
- Prepares routine correspondence related to the implementation of the requirements of County Code
- Speaks at public hearings as necessary to provide expertise and information for development applications
- Assists Planner Coordinators and Master Planners as needed
- Other duties as assigned
Planner Level - Grade 18: Salary Range $47,692 - $81,607
Bachelor’s Degree in planning, architecture, parks, engineering, environmental science, or related subjects and one (1) year of professional planning experience; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Senior Planner Level - Grade 22: Salary Range $54,066 - $92,517
Master’s Degree in planning, architecture, parks, engineering, environmental science, or equivalent disciplines related to job function and one (1) year of progressively responsible professional level planning experience; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
WHAT YOU SHOULD BRING:
Applicants called for interview should bring a writing sample.
Background in environmental planning, natural resources protection, soils, arboriculture, water resources, or related field with the ability to conduct field work including plant, wetland, stream and/or soils identification; experience with GIS and PC based planning and mapping programs; excellent interpersonal and presentation skills. Must demonstrate excellent writing skills; ability to obtain Qualified Professional status as defined in COMAR 08.19.06B (1)-(4); ability to interpret ordinances; ability to communicate effectively; ability to establish working relationships and demonstrate excellent work ethic. Familiarity with the Forest Conservation Act and various local environmental and permitting regulations.
The Prince George's County Planning Department is currently located in historic Upper Marlboro, Maryland. Free onsite parking is available for employees. In the foreseeable future, the Department will be moving to a newly renovated, state-of-the-art building in Largo, Maryland, conveniently located near Metro and I-495.
The M-NCPPC offers a competitive salary range of $47,692 to $81,607 at the Planner level and $54,066 to $92,517 at the Senior Planner level with an excellent benefits package. Salary is commensurate with education and experience.
The Commission is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from minorities, females, and persons with disabilities.
Classification Specifications: Planner (#2223); Senior Planner (#2224)
The Maryland-National Capital Park & Planning Commission
6611 Kenilworth Avenue
Riverdale, Maryland, 20737