Washington, DC United States
SmithGroup is an award-winning, multinational integrated design firm with a team of 1,300 experts across 15 offices in the U.S. and China. We employ research, data, advanced technologies and design thinking to help clients solve their greatest challenges. Our specialists — from artists and engineers, to nurses, workplace strategists and beyond — develop beautiful, sustainable, future-focused solutions for healthcare providers, science and technology organizations, higher education and cultural institutions, urban environments, diverse workplaces, mixed-use and waterfront developments, and parks and open spaces.
The Washington, DC office of SmithGroup, is looking for an Urban Designer to join our team.
Working with us, you will:
- Be actively involved in the urban design and planning of community revitalization projects, transit-oriented and mixed-use development master planning, and campus planning projects
- Work with a multidisciplinary team of urban design, planning, architecture, landscape architecture and engineering professionals from SmithGroup's Washington DC office and other offices across the country
- Produce 2-D and 3-D drawings, graphics and renderings of project designs
- Assist with producing master plan reports and technical reports for projects
- Make presentations of planning and design ideas to clients, community groups, and professional organizations
- Consistently demonstrate a commitment to SmithGroup core values — Collaboration, Creativity, Community, Integrity and the Environment
An ideal candidate has:
- 1-4 years of experience working in the urban design field
- A Bachelor's Degree or higher, in Urban Design, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Planning, or a related field
- Excellent skills in urban design and master planning
- Excellent knowledge of, and facility with the use of graphic programs such as Sketch Up, Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office, GIS and AutoCAD. Knowledge of BIM is helpful
- Strong understanding of sustainable design strategies and principles
- Proven ability to collaborate comfortably with diverse teams of colleagues
- Ability to communicate easily and effectively, both verbally and in writing
SmithGroup offers competitive compensation and an excellent benefit package, including 401(k) and continuing educational reimbursement. We offer 3 weeks of paid time off within the first year of employment, with the option of purchasing additional time off, and pay for 8 federal holidays. We also offer an alternative work schedule that provides employees with an additional 15 days off per year (usually Fridays) to help with work/life balance.
Interested in joining us? Get started today by clicking here.