The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission
Upper Marlboro, MD United States
(Grade 30, 10116)
Salary $71,266.00 - $124,203.00 Annually
Location Prince George's County, MD
Job Type Career Full-Time
Department PRINCE GEORGE'S PLANNING
Job Number 10116
Closing 12/18/2019 11:59 PM Eastern
The Prince George's County Planning Department of The Maryland National-Capital Park and Planning Commission is seeking a Master Planner with a strong archeology and historic preservation background, including technical review skills, to join our planning team. The Department provides land use planning for the physical development of Prince George's County, Maryland. As the second most populous county in Maryland, Prince George's has a population of approximately 900,000 residents, is characterized by urban, suburban and rural areas, and is home to The University of Maryland at College Park, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, and Joint Base Andrews Air Force Base. If you are interested in working for the Prince George's County Planning Department, we invite qualified candidates to apply for our Master Planner position.
Examples of Important Duties
Under very general direction, the Master Planner applies land use planning, environmental planning, historic preservation and archeology planning, urban design, and expert knowledge of the development review process as well as professionally performs the following major duties and responsibilities:
- Analyzes and provides recommendations regarding proposed state and local legislation affecting specific planning programs.
- Provides expert counsel to senior management and professional colleagues on planning issues.
- Works with the Planning Board, Zoning Hearing Examiner, County Council, and/or other high-level public officials to resolve complex planning related public policy and legislative issues on a regular basis within the area(s) of expertise.
- Prepares, presents, and reviews items to be presented before the Historic Preservation Commission, the Planning Board, and District Council.
- Serves as the primary historic preservation expert in the development or amendment of area and functional master plans.
- Consults with developers, attorneys, architects, engineers, governmental agencies, and the public about planning and design-related issues.
- Serves on Commission, County, and State Committees that exist for promoting, reviewing or coordinating various aspects of the planning function, or whose activities may impact upon the planning function.
- Develops formal and informal partnerships with other recognized government, academic, and private sector organizations within a field of expertise.
- Reviews and provides recommendations on development review applications.
- Provides archeology and historic preservation expertise on long range planning projects such as master plans, sector plans, green infrastructure plans, agriculture preservation, and other functional master plans.
Other duties may include full participation in interdisciplinary planning teams. The ability to interpret and review archeology research designs and historic preservation regulations such as the Prince George's County Planning Board's Archeology Program Guidelines, the Prince George's County Historic Preservation Ordinance and the Prince George's County Zoning Ordinance is important.
The candidate must possess innovative problem-solving skills, strong leadership skills, and be willing to work in a diverse environment. Qualified candidates will be expected to effectively communicate planning and design principles verbally, graphically, and in writing. Qualified candidates must have proven superior negotiation skills and provide thorough planning recommendations. A combination of public and private experience is preferred.
WHAT YOU SHOULD BRING
The ideal candidate for the Master Planner Position will possess:
- Strong analytical skills, outstanding communication skills, and the ability to provide a directly related innovative approach to environmental planning and sustainability.
- Expert knowledge of archeology, historic preservation, and/or urban design planning techniques with strong emphasis on archeology and historic preservation issues.
- Demonstrated ability to manage or facilitate complex, multi-year projects involving an array of stakeholders, sensitive political issues and challenges, and diverse communities.
- Ability to work with all levels of government and established communities in a diverse innovative planning environment.
- Knowledge of state and local historic preservation, archeology, and cemetery regulations.
Extensive experience with the development of archaeological investigation research designs and methodologies, and extensive knowledge of best practices in the documentation, interpretation and preservation of archaeological resources with an emphasis on historic cemetery preservation. An ideal candidate will also have a Ph.D. in a relevant discipline, such as cultural anthropology, historic preservation, or urban planning.
- Master's degree in planning, architecture, parks, engineering, environmental science, public administration, or related fields and six years of progressively responsible professional level planning experience that included at least three years of project leadership and coordination experience; OR
- An equivalent combination of education and experience.
The Prince George's County Planning Department is currently located in historic Upper Marlboro, Maryland. Free on-site parking is available for employees. In the foreseeable future, the Department will be moving to a newly renovated, state-of-the-art building in Largo, Maryland, conveniently located near Metro and I-495.
The M-NCPPC offers a competitive salary range of $71,266 - $124,203 at the Master Planner level with an excellent benefits package. Salary is commensurate with education and experience. The Commission is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from minorities, females, and persons with disabilities.
The Maryland-National Capital Park & Planning Commission
6611 Kenilworth Avenue
Riverdale, Maryland, 20737